Monday, January 16, 2006

Gone to the movies, alone...

I know most people have a problem going out alone like shopping, the movies or especially to a restauraunt. Last night I had to go get groceries. I don't think I ever would get groceries on a Sunday night, except for the fact that I had started a shopping trip on Saturday (with all three kids in reluctant tow) and while examining somehting on the lowest shelf, I had to crouch down. My jeans split. I have continuously tried convincing myself that it wasn't because I am fat. But why else does ones jeans split in the rear? Needless to say I went directly home.
Anyway, I had to go back to the Leduc to do my shopping. I was actually lucky 'cause Trevor was home to stay with the kids. So, making sure I had a sweater to tie around my waist if need be, I started my shopping. First to Wal-Mart, then I stopped at Tim Horton's ( I heard they are being sold to some guy from the states) for a sandwich and a coffee. Then I headed to Sobey's to get the reaminder of my groceries. During this time I had been hatching a plan to delay my trip long enough that I could go to the moives. I had read what was playing in the Friday paper. So I sat in the Sobey's parking lot awhile, ate my sandwich, drank my coffee , read a magazine I bought at Wal-Mart (if you didn't already know, it is official Angelina is pregnant!). I wasted about 45 mins doing this, went into the store and got my groceries. I called Trevor on my way into the store and let him know my plan.
So I went to a movie on a Sunday night all by myself. I don't think ti is a big deal. But when I tell people I get comments like "You went by yourself?" "Where was Trevor?" "I would've went with you." My sister can't believe that I would go somewhere like a movie by myself. She says she would be embarassed. I wonder if she thinks I care if people think I am alone. My God, alone, think of that... That means nobody telling me what to do, what they want, what they need! I have gone to the movies by myself 3 or 4 times. Each time was kinda spur of the moment, but if I had made plans with someone else I would've had to go to a movie they wanted to see, made sure they could go at the same time I could, maybe they would've invited anoterh person, if Trevor came I would've needed a babysitter, etc. This way I was the only person to please. I got to make all the calls. Yes, I enjoyed myself. I saw Family Stone, a good movie with an awesome cast, and I didn't have to share my popcorn.
My question is, would you go to a movie by yourself?

2 comments:

Idaho Dad said...

Hi! This is funny, because I've always had a thing about going to the movies by myself. I've done it a grand total of one time. I still remember the film: "The Presidio" with Mark Harmon and Sean Connery. It was... 1988, I think. I could scarcely enjoy the movie because I felt so uncomfortable, so I never went alone again.

That's another hobby I've SORT OF given up... Going out to the movies. My wife and I went to 3 or 4 a month before the kids came along. I went through withdrawals not being able to see the latest releases on the big screen. It took about two years to get used to the DVD release schedule. Movies come out on disc so quickly now, I hardly even notice when they're initially in the theater. We still see 3 or 4 films a month, but late at night in the comfort of our own home. Oh yeah, I will watch them alone at home when the wife is too tired. I guess it's something about going out for a social event by myself. I also don't like to eat out by myself... Even at a fast food restaurant.

Janna said...

hey there! you bet, i absolutely would go to a movie alone. sounds blissful!! i would pretty much go anywhere alone, even out to eat, and not care. probably because i never get a chance to:) bte, i clicked on here from my friend elizabeth's blog... another scrapbooker from edmonton:) take care & thanks for the peek at your blog!!

janna